To change the quantity of any item in your cart, update your cart here!
Smokers are not just for meat anymore. As smokers have gained in popularity so have the number of items people smoke. Smoking can give a unique yet familiar flavor to our popular treats. So today, let’s smoke a cheesecake.
First off, let’s discuss the wood flavor for smoking. Since this is a sweet treat we should look at the sweet woods. Pecan, maple, cherry or fruitwood would be excellent choice.
As for the recipe most will work. Find a recipe with a graham cookie or cookie crust and a baked cheesecake (a no bake cheesecake will not work). Next, set up the grill for indirect grilling. We have discussed tips for doing this in our dessert blog but using bricks or placing the cheesecake not directly over the heat is the gist. Preheat to 300˚F-325˚F depending on your recipe. Lightly oil the spring form pan. If your recipe calls for the crust to be baked, this is just easier done in the oven quick.
Smoke the cheesecake until to top is a golden brown color and the filling is set. The time smoking is dependent on the size of your cheesecake but usually 1½ -2 hours or even more. Make sure to test for doneness by gently poking the side of the pan; the filling should jiggle slightly. If the filling ripples, it is not done. You can also check the cheesecake by inserting a slender metal skewer in the center, where it should come out clean.
Transfer the cheesecake to a wire rack to cool until room temperature and then transfer to the refrigerator until serving.
2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumb
1/3 Cup Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
7 Tbsp Butter, Melted
24oz Cream Cheese, room temp
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 ¼ Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
3 Eggs + 2 Yolks
3 Tbsp Flour
½ Cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat to 325˚F
- Mix all ingredients for the crust and press into a greased 9 inch pan. Line the bottom of the pan with Parchment Paper for easy removal or use a spring form baking pan.
- Using a mixer, combine cream cheese and sour cream with a paddle until smooth.
- Add sugar, vanilla, scrape bowl a few times to ensure mixture is completely incorporated.
- Add the eggs & yolks, add flour & cream, mix until just combined.
- Add filling to crust, and bake at 325˚ for 60-70 minutes until set, and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cheesecake sit at room temperature for at least 60 minutes before refrigerating overnight.